toucanBox is an award-winning subscription service that provides arts and crafts activities for children aged 3 to 8 years old. We're backed by renowned VCs and have exciting ambitions to grow our strong customer base in the UK and expand internationally.
We have a fantastically diverse team of approximately 50 people, split between the office and the factory. We all care about the product and take pride in what we do.
We’re looking for a mid-senior Ruby Developer to join our team of three: 2 Ruby Developers and a UX Designer.
What you'll do:
As an early recruit into toucanBox’s growing development team, you will be joining at a time when key decisions are being made on technology strategy, team structure, tooling, and recruitment. Be there at the beginning and help mold a team that sits at the core of the business.
You'll work with the latest technologies, enjoy the freedom to scope and develop projects with a high degree of autonomy, spend time on personal projects, personal development and conferences and take opportunities to open source code.
- Ruby / Sinatra web apps
- Ruby on Rails web apps
- Go workers
- Vue.js client-side apps
- Middleman.rb static website
- Docker-based production / dev environments
- Redshift data warehouse
- Concourse & Travis CI
- 2 years’ + commercial experience using Ruby
- Experience with Relational Databases – preferably PostgreSQL
- Experience of version control systems; ideally Git and/or GitHub
- Comfortable working on a command line
- Excellent English communication skills with the ability and adaptability to work within a start¬up environment and wear multiple hats
- Experience using Test Driven Development with frameworks such as Rspec/Minitest
- Support with your self-development: hacker time, attending conferences, meet ups etc.
- Opportunity to help redefine an industry in a fun, fast paced, fast growing tech business
- Opportunity to grow and evolve the role into whatever you make it
- Competitive startup salary
- An experienced management team backed by leading investors
- Regular company socials
- Private medical insurance
- Vitality health programme
- Employer pension contribution
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Table-tennis and other games
- Fully-stocked fridge