In this role, you'll work with a small cross-functional team to build tools that help hundreds of thousands of small businesses thrive. By shipping code, you'll see the impact of your work on merchant's daily lives right away. You'll collaborate with experts in product, design, and operations to deliver mission-critical internal and external features that power the SumUp ecosystem.
We work on a number of different projects that span technologies, systems, and processes. A few of the technologies we're leveraging on the web at SumUp include React, Webpack, Jest, Enzyme, Storybook, Next.js, Gatsby, Emotion, Node, and Docker.
- Work with a cross-functional team to ship code multiple times per week.
- Contribute to our React component library and build new features in our merchant-facing single-page application.
- Collaborate with product and design departments to build maintainable, usable, and beautiful features.
- Share your knowledge with other developers through pair programming and receive mentorship in return.
- Take initiative in pushing projects forward, while validating and communicating your ideas with the team.
- Help us continue to develop our open-source projects and culture.
Here are a few things you could work on at SumUp
- Our merchant-facing React app, replete with all the modern tooling (Webpack 4, Prettier, Jest, and Enzyme to name a few). The application provides functions like analytics, employee management, ecommerce, onboarding, and referrals. Many cool features are in the pipeline surrounding Point of Sale, product catalogue, and more.
- Our website, built with React and Next.js and modern tooling. Today we enable our marketing, business development, and communications teams to build custom pages with React components. Tomorrow we are building more tools to improve editor productivity, handle our expanding product offering, and educate merchants on growing their business.
- Our design system and component library, built in React, using Emotion for css-in-js. These components can be used in all our different web applications. We use Storybook as a component workbench and Gatsby to generate public-facing documentation.
- And many more, like our SumUp for Developers tools, ecom gateway, open source integrations, internal applications, and greenfield projects. We also do CI with Docker and Jenkins, and have many more plans for how to leverage containers for our apps.
If you're interested in diving into the platform or getting your hands dirty in devops, you're encouraged to extend your impact to those areas as well.
- 2+ years prior professional experience
- Expert knowledge of HTML, CSS, and experience with React
- Experience building a non-trivial Single Page Application (SPA)
- Linux basics (git, ssh, editing a file on a remote server, etc.)
- Experience with data / content modeling and thinking in a reusable, component-oriented way
- Experience implementing accessible and responsive designs according to pixel-precise design specs
- Ability to communicate fluently about technical topics in English.
- Budget for attending conferences and advancing your career. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks!
- Weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
- Dedicated time every week for side-projects and open source initiatives.
- Semi-annual off-sites, where the tech teams from Cologne, Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together. In the past we've gone to Bulgaria and Greece and a castle in the German countryside.
- We have a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office parties, German classes, and yoga.
- All the startup swag you expect: kicker table, unlimited coffee, and a shiny MacBook Pro.