Software Engineer (Front-end)
Onfido’s purpose is to make it easier for people to prove their legal identities online. We verify your government ID and compare it against your facial biometrics, so you can easily access the services you want and need.
Onfido was founded in 2012. Our first aim was to make Onfido the best place to work – a place where our team looks forward to coming every day. Our second was to use technology to make a difference on a global scale.
Traditionally, to make a trusted transaction with someone, you’d need to meet them face-to-face. But with the advent of the internet, we can now transact online with anyone, anywhere in the world. Face-to-face transactions aren’t scalable, but the anonymity of the digital age isn’t secure. Onfido exists to solve that tension.
We are looking for a Software Engineer (Front End) to join our Hire Team or SDK Team (see open source project here: https://github.com/onfido/onfido-sdk-ui) as we scale our team in Lisbon. The mission of this role will be to help develop frontend features to achieve the Hire team's mission and improve overall frontend capability and quality at Onfido.
The role will involve the following:
- Feature Ownership: end to end, from architecture to coding and testing, for new features prioritised in our product roadmap
- Product Design: Working closely with our Design and Product teams to help design and build intuitive solutions
- Improving stability: Reviewing architecture to ensure code quality is robust
Our technology stack:
We’ve pretty flexible about technology and like to pick the right tool for the job:
- We build services in Ruby, Elixir and Python
- We do our ML/CV work with Python and Tensorflow (and a little bit of C!)
- Our services run on Kubernetes and AWS
- Some of our SDK services are also built with Node.js, some namely using Socket.io for realtime communication
You can learn more about our product engineering team and the work we do on our blog.
- You are keen to take responsibility on delivering complex projects, from design to deployment to operation
- You'll uphold and promote good practice in design, code quality and security
- You are passionate about designing, creating rich user experiences and usability
Values and behaviours:
- Succeed Together - Share skills, ideas and honest feedback. Be excellent to each other.
- Take Pride - Deliver world-class quality and be an ambassador.
- Learn Things, Share Them - Seek out knowledge. Then, take what you learn and teach it to others.
- Find a Better Way - Fix what's broken and make what works even better.
- Create Customer Buzz - Craft an experience that customers rave about.
To be a great fit at Onfido, we look for individuals who share our values. We have over 35 nationalities in our growing team, making this an exciting and culturally enriching place to work. Check out the team and Life at Onfido!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Onfido. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Nice to have
- Working knowledge of at least one other language (e.g. Ruby, PHP, Python)
- Experience with testing frameworks such as Jest and Jasmine *
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You will receive:
- Share options
- Health Cash Plan subsiding medical expenses (e.g. dental, optical, doctors plus many others)
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Subsidised gym membership or home cleaning (50% up to €65 per month)
- Unlimited budget for any software or books you need
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Monthly company dinners
- Quarterly socials (e.g. cookery classes, go-karting and private cinema trips)
- Open and transparent culture - we meet for a Friday afternoon forum (OnFriday) to engage peers informally over drinks.