Senior Java Engineer
N26 is Europe’s first Mobile Bank with a full European banking license. We have 2.3 million customers across 24 markets. Our team of over 700 employees in 3 locations is concentrated on reinventing the banking experience for the digital generation. Valentin Stalf and Maximilian Tayenthal founded N26 in 2013 and launched the initial product in early 2015. Since January 2015, N26 has been available for Android, iOS, and desktop. N26 has raised more than $500 million from investors including Insight Venture Partners, GIC, Tencent, Allianz X, Peter Thiel’s Valar Ventures, Li Ka-Shing’s Horizons Ventures, Earlybird Venture Capital, Greyhound Capital, Battery Ventures, in addition to members of the Zalando management board, and Redalpine Ventures.
Once here you will?
As a Senior Java Engineer, you’re part of a high performing team, building technologies that make banking more human. You’ll be working in one of our cross-functional teams, focused around one part of our product. Sitting in the same room as the people designing the screens, implementing the app and testing the features. You’ll collaborate with your Tech Lead in architecting new features and seeing them through to completion. You’ll call upon your extensive experience in previous projects to guard code quality through reviewing of pull requests, but will also use this opportunity to mentor juniors. Finally, having gathered a bunch of knowledge throughout your career, you don’t hesitate to share this with your colleagues through Lightning Talks.
N26 is powered by a microservice architecture written mainly in Java 8 with Spring Boot and a bit of Kotlin. The services talk to each other using REST, SQS and Kinesis. Data is stored in PostgreSQL and DynamoDB. For more information please check out our stackshare page.
- Significant experience with Java 8 and Spring Boot in large-scale production systems.
- Some experience with paradigms other than imperative programming is always a plus.
- Sound knowledge in relational database systems (preferrably PostgreSQL) and understanding the tradeoffs between relational and NoSQL.
- Be aware of other models of inter-service communication besides REST (queues and event streams).
- You are passionate about technology and want to share this passion with your team.
- You keep up with the latest trends and are not afraid to propose some of these new things during our GSDD and share your findings afterwards with the rest of the engineering organisation.
- A relentless drive for clean and well-tested code which shows during code reviews. You use these reviews to teach best practices in developing large-scale distributed systems.
- A full professional proficiency in English language.
- Working with international, highly engaged peers
- Freedom to prototype given the challenges we face
- Getting things done attitude
- Flat hierarchy and open communication
- Exciting Challenges
- Personalized Onboarding here
- Interesting technical problems to solve as we scale
- Working with engaged, smart engineers