FindHotel develops the first hotel booking marketplace, currently serving over 2M visitors a month, in 42 languages around the world. Our mission is to improve the metasearch model and evolve it into a true booking marketplace, building the best place for customers to find and book a hotel
- Use historical data to build accurate models of KPIs for our performance-based marketing campaigns: customer value, competition...
- Optimize the targeting and pricing of our SEM campaigns
- Use Machine Learning to make our website as effective as possible: e.g. by providing visitors with relevant recommendations
- Closely collaborate with our developers in the deployment of data science products to our production systems
- Continuously research new data sources, methods and technologies
A day at the office:
- In our daily stand up our analysts have mentioned that European travellers tend to make more expensive bookings when travelling far away from home. They also seem to have a preference for hotels with certain features (e.g. free Wifi, on-site parking, etc). However, data is very scarce and the analysts don't know whether these findings can be used to optimize our European Adwords campaigns
- Any minor optimization in our campaigns can have a great impact in the business, so you decide to take a closer look. You start the morning by getting a relevant historical data set from our data warehouse, cleaning it, and preparing it for exploration with your favourite tools
- After your morning exploration on your data, you end up with a list of data manipulation and modelling approaches that you think could lead to specific improvements in our campaigns
- You will then spend the rest of the afternoon setting up a simple model validation framework that will allow you short list your most promising ideas so that you can focus on optimizing only those in the following days
Why join now?
- We have completely rebuilt the internals of our product and set the foundations to transform FindHotel from a search product into a recommendation system. This transition will obviously be driven by data and will bring exciting data engineering and data science challenges
- We are looking to grow traffic from 2M monthly visitors to +10M within the coming year. Doing that in a market as mature and competitive as online accommodation means that we need to be truly innovative. If you have a great idea nobody will stop you from giving it a try!
- Curious, not afraid to make mistakes and willing to question the status quo.
- Professional experience building models that produce actionable insights from complex data sets, preferably in a startup-like environment.
- Ability to work with very large datasets.
- Very good programming skills, preferably in Python and/or Scala.
- Experience using a variety of scientific computing and statistical tools.
- Detail oriented, but practical enough to avoid perfectionist pitfalls.
Nice to have
- 3+ years of relevant business experience.
- Experience with Bayesian data analysis techniques and tools.
- Comfortable working with a large variety of data stores: Redshift & PostgreSQL, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, AWS S3, AWS Kinesis, etc.
- Experience with Apache Spark.
- Experience with cloud computing solutions, in particular in AWS.
- Experience working together with developers to deploy ML models to production environments.
- Interest and willingness to learn about online marketing and travel.
- Motivated and driven to take responsibility and succeed in a start-up environment.
- MSc or PhD in statistics, engineering, computer science, artificial intelligence or related field.
- You will be working with a multidisciplinary squad of analysts, data scientists and engineers, and a product owner.
- The opportunity to work in a diverse international team in a start-up environment
- An agile environment where communication and initiative are valued and cherished
- No nonsense! We’re proud of our flat hierarchy and short democratic decision paths
- A fun work environment that includes a delicious lunch, fruits & snacks, beer tap, ping pong and foosball
- Competitive compensation package including bonuses and Stock Appreciation Rights
- Flexible time off vacation policy
- Great new spacious and light-filled office located in central Amsterdam