Big Data Engineer
FindHotel develops the first hotel booking marketplace, currently serving over 2M visitors a month, in 42 languages around the world. Our mission is to improve the metasearch model and evolve it into a true booking marketplace, building the best place for customers to find and book a hotel
Do you embrace mountains of data and are you able to sculpt brilliant strategies from it? We are looking for a data-savvy senior engineer to join our team. In this role, you will lead the design and implementation of our core data processes, which support our marketing campaigns and our hotel metasearch website FindHotel. As a Senior Data Engineer, this is an exciting opportunity to have a major impact on the business by allowing the scale of decision-making to reach a completely new level.
What you will be doing:
- Gather and process raw data at scale: Build a rock-solid data pipeline
- Design, build and own a cost-effective data warehouse using the technologies you think are best for us
- Build automated decisions systems for Big Data
- Build analyst-friendly and programmer-friendly interfaces to big data tools
- Help us implement and evaluate machine learning models on large datasets
- Stay up-to-date and experiment with new technologies and best practices
- Be a leader in your field
- Coach and mentor the more junior members in your team
Why join now
- We have completely rebuilt the internals of our product and set the foundations to transform FindHotel from a search product into a recommendation system. This transition will obviously be driven by data and will bring exciting data engineering and data science challenges.
- We are looking to grow traffic from 2M monthly visitors to +10M within the coming year. Doing that in a market as mature and competitive as online accommodation means that we need to be truly innovative. If you have a great idea nobody will stop you from giving it a try!
- We have just built a tool that allows us to scale our Search Marketing Campaigns to a completely new level. This means massive data sets and unique challenges in terms of data science, engineering and automation.
- We have formed a solid team of two data scientists and two data engineers and we are looking to grow the team considerably in the near future. You will have the chance to grow with us.
- Experience with creating data architectures
- Experience with cluster computing systems (preferably Spark)
- Professional experience with high-performance big data stores (MPPs such as Amazon Redshift), preferably in a startup-like environment
- Extensive experience processing and building automated data pipelines for large amounts of un/structured data coming from diverse data sources
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL stores (DynamoDB, Cassandra)
- Advanced programming skills, preferably Python and/or Scala
Nice to have
- Curious, not afraid to make mistakes and willing to question the status quo
- Detail oriented, but practical enough to avoid perfectionist pitfalls
- Experience with cloud based computing solutions, in particular, AWS
- Experience building (REST) API’s
- The opportunity to work in a diverse international team in a startup environment
- An agile environment where communication and initiative is valued and cherished
- Many chances to develop yourself including access to courses and conferences
- No nonsense! We’re proud of our flat hierarchy and short democratic decision paths
- A fun work environment that includes a delicious lunch, unlimited snacks and beer, ping pong tables and foosball
- Competitive compensation package including bonuses and Stock Appreciation Rights
- Flexible time off vacation policy
- Great new spacious and light-filled office located in central Amsterdam