Quantitative Research – Data and Artificial Intelligence Lab
Global Market is the part of the Corporate and Institutional Bank (CIB) which deals with all Capital Market trading activities: we are indeed offering millions of different products to our clients across the world on various asset classes like Equity, Foreign Exchange, Interest Rates, Credit or Commodity. Those products can be as simple as trading a stock on an exchange to quite complicated structures meeting the very specific investment needs of a client.
As Market Maker we are constantly offering to buy or sell those products at a price which needs to react quickly to any Market conditions and sentiment change. Our goal is indeed to offer the best-in class service to our client while managing tightly the risk associated to those products.
The role of our Lab in this context is to use the latest techniques of Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence or Natural Language Processing to help Global Market do a better job.
This means for example:
- Understanding better the needs of our clients to provide acute recommendation,
- Help the Sales prioritize better their daily calls to improve their hit rate by being more relevant to their clients,
- Anticipate better the next move in the Market to help trading offering a better service
- Working with Economists and Strategists to analyse better what drive the economy or a particular asset
For this we need to leverage the gigabytes of data we are accumulating every day, under very structured format when looking at Market Data but as well under unstructured format when considering for example all the chats or voice conversations between the Bank and its clients, the News or Tweets mentioning the corporates we are dealing with, the journey of our clients on our platforms or why not satellite images of Earth!
To do this job we first need people who love working with data but are not afraid to deal with the hard problems associated to it: a big part of our job is indeed about gathering the data, understanding it, cleaning it, normalizing it and finally extracting what will be relevant to the problem in a usable format.
Who know what it takes to build a robust application, who like to code but will pay attention to details as their work will go quickly in production and will be used on a daily basis by the hundreds of employees of BNPP who expect high level of reliability.
We finally look for people who love to spend time modelling, being innovative in their solution, who don’t mind pressure and are not afraid to fail, and who understand that to go big, we first need to start small.
The role will be in Lisbon, Portugal working within a team of finance professionals supporting BNPP CIB market activities globally. The projects and tasks will be worked on in collaboration with team members in London and Paris. A period of 2 to 4 months training in London or Paris is envisaged at the beginning of the role in order to become familiar.
One of the following qualifications:
- Master or PhD degree in Mathematics or Computer Science
- PhD in Science or Engineering, with an interest for Mathematics and Computer Science
- Machine learning, NLP/NLG culture
- Good understanding of Computer Science: algorithms, complexity, etc.
- Experience with a few programming languages
- Hands-on and proactive approach
- Accuracy and absolute attention to detail required
- Effective problem solver and consensus builder
- Fluency in English
- Available for a training period abroad (2 to 4 months in either Paris, London or Frankfurt)
Nice to have
- Engineering mind-set and culture
- Interest in Open Source projects and communities
- Interest in financial mathematics, statistics
- Notions of French are welcome