Lead Data Engineer
A personalised news app that combines editorial expertise and curation with the very latest personalisation technologies to bring our readers the stories that matter to them. Growing fast we are looking for creative and committed people to help build our vision in the Berlin Headquarter. If you’re looking to join a young, international team full of fantastic talent that has the energy of a start-up but the stability of an established media company - look no further.
As the Lead Data Engineer in our organization you will be joining a still small unit delivering valuable insights to our development, marketing and product research units.
Your mission will be twofold:
Take ownership of existing products and services
Shape the future of Data Engineering within a high growth environment, developing solutions that will bring value to our organisation in coordination with all stakeholders involved.
- Minimum 6+ years experience building production level software systems
- Experience in architecting and building large-scale batch processing pipelines using Big Data tools such as Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, etc.
- Fluent in SQL, ability to query large datasets, and visualizing the results
- Fluency working with ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) systems
- Comfortable developing in a Linux environment
- Demonstrable track-record of learning and deep-diving as needed into complex existing and new technologies
- Intense sense of ownership, initiative-taking, and a can-do attitude
- Great attention to detail and a data-driven approach to problem solving
- Team-player with a strong collaboration and communication skills, who is able to motivate and mobilize cross-functional teams, and respond positively to feedback
- Experience working in a rapid growth environment that requires flexibility and continuous innovation
- Ability to mentor junior team members
- Self-starter with an eye for detail
Nice to have
- Experience (or even better a proven track record) of implementing machine learning
- Experience shaping and building a unit over time (we expect the number of Analysts and Engineers in the data team to triple over the next 18 months)
- Of course, we have Football (Kicker), table tennis and all the other start-up gimmicks
- Free drinks, all drinks (beer, coffee, tea, club-mate, champagne on special occa-sions etc.)
- Fresh fruit twice a week
- Your choice of a MacBook or a Windows/Linux machine
- A smart phone w/ contract
- A very generous self-development budget to get certified or to travel to conferences all over the world
- A competitive salary
- Chance to push your ideas and visions, in particular during the periodic hackathons
- Company shares